Friday, February 9, 2007

What is Reality?

I've had some experiences in my life that have really made me start questioning things. I now realize how powerful the mind can be, and this could be a positive or negative thing. For me, sadly, it isn't always so pleasant.

When I was ten years old, I somehow was able to make my lower stomach start hurting by just thinking about it. The more I became afraid of it, it would hurt worse. I also have this thing where if I think something or someone will make me sick, my mouth and throat will start hurting. Sometimes I would respond to static, touch, or sound and the top of my head would tingle.

On top of that, during the first quarter of 2006 I was associated with bipolar disorder after my first manic episode. When I was at the peak of my mania at the hospital, I would start hearing things that weren't there, and other people could easily tell I was in a delusional state. I know that this was the case, but isn't it strange how things can seem just as real as reality?

Other cases where we won't know if what we're experiencing is real or not is when we lucid dream or when we will experience virtual reality. Anyone would swear that it's real until they come out of it!

It seems that our reality is something that people perceive together, and that is what makes up our world. But, since we all believe this to be reality, is it still truly real? If we can believe things are our reality on our own (like all of the experiences I mentioned), how do we know what true reality is?

2 comments:

Bevans said...

Very interesting. There is some truth with the whole shared perception of human kind. I've experienced some of this in dreams where people who I've never met were in them. There was this one movie I saw called Waking Life that talked about dreams and philosophical questions about reality. I think you would like it.

cortney said...

you have such a wonderfully inquisitive mind, alex. the more you ponder, read, and bounce ideas off ouf others, the more you will learn and grow. have you read any buddhist philosophy? how about taoist philosophy. try reading the tao te ching. tell me what you think! i love that you open your heart and mind so effortlessly in order to seek knolwedge and enlightenment. it's a beautiful gift....don't ever let ANYONE tell you otherwise...